so how do it do it? How do I feed my family for such a small amount of money? I use many different methods to save money. And it changes all the time. I am constantly researching new ways to save! There is always a way to cut out a few pennies. And the pennies add up!
This is a brief review of my grocery shopping technique. It changes often... just little tweaks here and there to better fit my family and our needs and budget. I am not saying this is what will work for you. But I do hope that you can find a tip or two in here to help you out. I get so many questions and requests for this, that I thought I would do it again.
I budget $75 a week for all of our groceries, toiletries, paper goods, etc. This even covers diapers. I will admit that every once in a while, I go over. When I find diapers at a really good deal, I will buy so many diapers that it will put me over my budget. But the majority of the time I am under. Sometimes, way under budget. $35-$50/ week is pretty common.
I start out clipping coupons. I have a huge shoe box type holder for all my coupons with about 25 different categories. I clip and sort.
I then go to the coupon mom website. This is a free site that helps your use your coupons and sales at stores in your area together. That is the key. You want to utilize your coupons with sales. That will help you optimize the value and price you pay. And help you get many items for free!! This site is by no means always correct. But since it is free, you can't really complain. I usually find 1-2 mistakes per week per store. I find way more ways to save than mistakes, so it is well worth it!
Now it gets a little tricky. While there may be a sale at store X on your brand of detergent, there may be an even better sale at store Y. So, I research several stores and try to find the best deals. I usually shop at Publix, Kroger, Wal-Greens, CVS, Wal-Mart, Target, farmer's market and Aldi on any given week. With gas prices the way they are, you really need to weigh the cost/ benefit/ savings ratios here. If you are driving 5 extra miles to save $0.50 on olive oil-- it might not be worth it. I am very lucky that I have a Kroger and Publix within .3 miles of me. the farmer's market is a bit far, so I usually only go there every 1-2 weeks. CVS and Wal-greens are both also pretty close. Aldi is a bit far, but it is in an area that we are frequently in to run errands on weekends. So, it usually isn't too big a deal to stop by there. Target and Wal-Mart are usually special planned trips. May 1-3 times per month.
We then take my list and hit the stores. We always try to hit Publix on Sunday or Monday because they have a $0.01 cent mystery item with any $10 purchase. And it's usually a pretty good item-- bleach, paper towels, hot dogs, etc. I will hit the other stores on my list during the week.
I don't want to overload anyone, so I will post more tips later. But this is a great place to start. It is pretty much the backbone of my system.
The economy is so bad right now, that I want this to be a regular feature on the new blog. I'm not good at too many things, but I am pretty good at saving money. I hope that I can help you pinch without pain!
Sunday, June 15, 2008
Being Centsible-- Grocery shopping Part 1
Posted by Frannie at 11:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Good tips! Do you ever go to Good Cents? There is a link on my blog. GREAT info and freebies often. I subscribed so I dont miss any deals. And she too will tell you what is going on where for coupons.
I think you would love it!
I am NOT good at saving money - I really need to take notes on this!
I love it!!! I'm super excited Emily is potty trained - so many less diapers to buy! She still needs them at nighttime but wow, what a difference without wearing them full time!
I noticed the other day that mixed in the usual coupons the grocery register spit out was a 10% off my whole next order coupon. I took advantage and bought cleaning products and some of the more expensive items that week.
They are great tips! Not to sound very thick but where do you find the coupons? nothing comes through our door for free and although the supermarket has a magazine it just tells you the 2 for 1 offers on that week.
All great tips. More people should take heed to centsible shopping.
All good tips!Unfortunately I am not good at saving money but my husband...
That is a good post! I get all 3 ads - HEB, Kroger and Randalls and (our 3 grocery store) I take them to Wal-Mart becaue they price match! This way I'm at one store and I can get everything!
I wanted to start a spread sheet of things I buy the most and the brands I buy! Like my toilet paper, paper towels the # of sheets and size roll! I wanted to list prices so I can see what a really good sales price is! Ya know what I mean! I only want to buy the stuff I need when it goes on sale!
I try and only buy my case of water when it's $2.99!
Check out the new site I just found thanks to Leigh! It's my good cents! http://mygoodcents.net/ I've signed up for TONS of FREE stuff today!!!! I love her site! Oh and her coupon site! MyCouponPal.com
Coupon Mom's site is WEIRD to me! It's got so much stuff on it...I guess I don't how to use it! I get lost! =( I know I'm a dork!
I did just hear that beef is going to go on sale becasue the farmers crops are doing so bad they are going to sell the cows! This was on CNN or MSN any ways beef prices should drop soon! I hope! I will stock up on hamburger meat! I can make sooooooooooooo many different things out of hamburger meat!
Thanks for the post! Love it! Sorry I wrote a book for a comment!
Post a Comment