CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 14, 2008

do you hear what I hear?

Or I guess I should say do you read what I read, maybe?

Anyway, this blogging stuff has brought something to light for me. Colloquial sayings are all in the ear of the beholder.

I am always reading the way people say things and it amazes me. For instance, the other day I came across this blog (can't remember who) and she/ he said "for all intensive purposes." Now, I always thought the saying was "for all intents and purposes." Is she/ he wrong? Am I wrong? I don't think so, but of course I wouldn't think that I am wrong. I've been saying it that way forever.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember anymore right now, but I do run into this fairly often.

Anyone else? Or is this just me? I should start writing them all down.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, all intents and purposes. I do find this occasionally, can't think of any examples right now but I always think it is US V UK english although maybe not!

Steffi said...

Sorry please my terrible english! I know my english isn´t the best and I make a lot of mistakes!

Julie said...

Oh my - I totally say "intensive purposes". You must let me know which way is right.

Julie said...

(HA, maybe it was my blog - I should go look and see if I used it recently!: ) )

Amy W said...

I say intents and purposes...

Beckie said...

I see those type of things ALL of the time on blogs.

I think you are right.

A Spot of T said...

I used to say things like "little own" until a blogger (WT) finally had enough and not only put it on my blog but also emailed me that it was actually supposed to be "let alone". I change it when I think about it. But I never think about it :o)

my4kids said...

I've always said "intents and purposes". Who knows. But that is why I understand the meaning as.