Our little Moonfish died last night. It was really sad. Much more so than I would have expected a fish death to be. I was kind of attached to her.
I first got her and a male beta fish together: Starfish. They told me at the pet store the two could live together- this is not true. A male beta can not live with any other fish. He kept attacking her. So, I went out and bought her her own bowl. And she started to thrive. She was growing so big. She wound up being almost twice the size she was when got her. I used to joke with HOF that I was going to wait until she was super big and put her back in with Starfish and let her kick his ass!
Starfish is pretty blah. He does what you expect from a fish. Just kind of hangs out. Moonfish would always say "hi" when I came by her bowl. And she would actually jump out of the water for food. And you could hear her chew. Even without leaning down near the bowl. She was that loud. She made me laugh. I know fish don't have any personalities, but she at least had a little one. And she wasn't ever scared of the net when I was cleaning her tank.
I had a really hard time flushing her. It was pretty sad. I have no idea what happened. She had stopped eating very much. And had just started acting differently. Yesterday she was just laying on her side a lot and kept trying to wedge herself under her castle. I kept checking on her, but I knew what was going to happen. When I checked on her last night after dinner, she was gone.
Thank you for indulging me in this silliness. I know she was just a fish. But, I felt so bad for her. And I am so worried that I did something that caused it. Or that she suffered. Poor thing.
Goodbye little Moonfish.
Friday, August 29, 2008
The Moon
Posted by Frannie at 7:48 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww that is so sad!!!!!! =( I'm sorry Miss Moonfish is no longer with you!!! =( Has Punter figured this out? Did he see you flush her?
Oh no...that´s so sad!Poor Moonfish!
Poor Moonfish : (
acck, I'm so sorry for your loss! No, seriously! You should've seen me when my fish (Stones, Sticks was still kicking at that point) died. I remember it vividly - at it was like 10 years ago :P
So don't feel silly - you're just a caring person. And we all love you for it.
Take care!
Aw that is sad and as Chelle said not silly at all she was part of your day to day life.
I'm sorry you lost your little girl fish. Maybe you had such a hard time flusghing her because you nursed her back to health? I'd be attached to.
And too, I know a bit about Beta fish and fish in general, I bet the tank you had both the male and female in was too small that's why he attacked her. Just a guess, but male beta's can live with other fish, just depends on the environment. Email me if you have questions! Fishtanks are a hobby of mine.
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! I am sossssooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry! I never understood the relationship to a fish...util I got some. And they, like dogs or cats, etc have personalities. I understand and am so sorry. My condolances.
Loss is loss, it doesn't matter if it seems silly to anyone else. I'm sorry you had to go through it.
Post a Comment