CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Expecting too much?

Last night we had a Halloween party to go to. It is put on by HOF's university that he attended/ and has worked for his entire career. It is such a fun party. We had a blast last year! We have been looking forward to it all month. And the best part-- it's free. All you have to do is RSVP how many are coming and they have tons of free stuff for you and all kinds of games and activities. Plus dinner.

We had so much fun last year, that we were literally the poster children for it. They were using a picture of Punter and me and the school mascot as advertisement.

Punter woke up from his nap whiny. We got in the car- he knew we were going to see Daddy- and he started asking for Daddy before we even got out of the driveway.

"DDDAAAA" (in a whiny voice)
"We are on our way to see Daddy. We are going right now."
"DDDAAAA"
We are on our way. We are heading there right now.
DDDAAAA
I can't magically make us be there, Punter. We are going now.

This is a 30+ minute drive. And this conversation repeated the whole way. Oh, and if I just ignore him, he gets worse.

I finally get him out of the car and up to HOF's office-- and he totally ignores him. WTF?? He had cried for him all day and the entire car ride down there!

He continued acting like a brat. We went to the party and it got worse from there. We had a miserable time. They had changed a few things from last year, but it still would have been a fun time. We basically got our free dinner and played a few games and left. We had to leave a 2 hour party after 40 minutes because he misbehaved so much. I just couldn't believe it. I would have had a hard time leaving a place that was boring for bad behavior, but a PARTY??? It just doesn't make sense to me.

And I have a good kid. Other moms in my moms group talk about Punter all the time and how he is so well behaved.

So, when we got in the car I started crying because I was so mad at him and myself. Granted, at that point I had been listening to it for hours, but still. I should have been able to handle it better than I did. And he is just a kid. He can't really talk. He can say a few words, but he can't communicate well unless it involves food.

So today I have mommy guilt. I feel like I failed him and myself. He is a good kid. He has to be allowed to mess up once in a while. I mess up all the time-- I need to allow him the freedom to do the same.

I'm not upset that we made him leave-- he definitely deserved that. I just wish I would have controlled my emotions better. I know part of it was the hormones, though. But still- I'm the adult, I should act like it.

sorry for the rambling post.....

6 comments:

"J" said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I'm sorry GF!!! That SUCKS!!! I know how you look forward to events like that!!! You are a GREAT mom!!! I'm sure you were just stressing a bit!!! No biggie...he won't remember it!!! There is ALWAYS next year!!! =) You should send in yoru feed back on the event!!! Tell them what you liked from last year that wasm't there this year or vice versa!!! =)

(((HUGS)))

YOU ARE A FREAKING GREAT MOM!!!!!!!

Beckie said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. It happens - even to the best behaved kids and best moms. He might be fighting off a bug or growing - that always causes a little unexplained cranky. And you, my friend, with your hormones - you deserve a good cry.

Steffi said...

I agree with the comments from Beckie and "J"!You are the best and don´t be so hard toi yourself!

Steffi said...

I agree with the comments from Beckie and "J"!You are the best and don´t be so hard toi yourself!

SJINCO said...

Awww! As other's have said, don't be so hard on yourself!

I can relate to the frustration you feel when your child doesn't communicate well. It's hard, it's stressful. But it does get better in time, it really does!

Maybe his behavior is just a stage he is in? Maybe? And you shouldn't have any Mommy guilt for not being able to control your emotions - I think you have a free pass on that for a while :)

Hang in there, you are great Mom. No doubts about that.

CPA Mom said...

well, you know from my blog that I feel this way ALL THE TIME. And I'll tell you what You tell ME - You are a GREAT mom and this is normal!!! (HUGS) to you. It will get better when he is verbal!