When Punter gets sick with ANY amount of congestion, there is much vomit to follow in the night. Last night was a pretty bad case of it.
I gave him benedryl to dry him up. I hate dosing him, but if he has congestion we will give him this simply so he can sleep. If he isn't dried up, he will be up all night vomiting.
Well, the first night he threw it up. So, I gave it to him early last night so he would have plenty of "upright" time and it would kick in. I put him to bed fine. A few minutes later he started coughing. I kept checking on him and finally he just woke up crying and miserable. The vomiting was quick to follow. We tried to comfort him and get him back to sleep. No go. So, we tried to turn on a movie to get him to calm down. Nope. We were desperate. The crying was just making more stuff for him to keep throwing up. He said he wanted to go downstairs. So we went down to try to play with him. He would play a little- but crying and on the verge of a melt down the whole time. So, we brought him back up and thought we would try the bed again. By this time, I am almost out of all my burp cloths so we are running around grabbing towels and anything else to keep messes contained. Finally, we had to bathe him. Which just made him more mad and upset. We then began to worry about him becoming dehydrated. HOF asked if we had any Poweraide. I said that we had some Propel in the fridge upstairs and grabbed it. (I had this because L said that it helps morning sickness. The taste is too horrible for me, so it's just been in the fridge.) We poured some in his cup and offered it to him. He wouldn't drink it. Finally we forced two sips on him. And someone flipped a switch. I swear to you. That kid got out of bed and started dancing and laughing and playing with his daddy like he was in the best mood of his LIFE! Not like he felt better, but he was in a truly good mood. It was the funniest thing! Minutes before desperation was thick in the air and now it was party time. He spent an hour playing like this before we finally talked him into getting to bed. And he drank about two sippy cups of that stuff.
If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't believe it!
Punter then woke up at 5:00 and proceeded to whine for 30 minutes wanting me to scratch his bottom.
Oh, the joys of parenting. Wait, I've used that line before....
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Propel Thyself!!!
Posted by Frannie at 9:10 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I had never heard of the congestion/throwing up connection until I had my oldest. She is the only one of my kids that did that - catch a cold - throw up. It was really annoying to me. I'm not nearly as patient as you are.
That cracks me up! He was that sick and you gave him propel and it made everything better!!!! lol
I would keep that stuff around for sure!!!
I sure hope Punter feels better!!! Poor little guy!!! I feel for kids when they are sick...I don't think they understand what is really wrong with them and that makes it that much worse on them!!!! =(
Hang in there!!! I hope he feels better!!!
Well that's a secret I'll keep in mind. Propel!
Poor Punter I hope he feels completely better soon, not just "propel" better.
Post a Comment