CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, November 22, 2008

fake it 'til you make it

I love Christmas. But this wasn't always the case.

I used to dread the holiday. It wasn't really much but sadness to me. I guess it started for the most part when my mom died when I was 10. I missed my mom so much, that there just wasn't much to be happy about. As I got older, I lost more of my family-- well, lost them emotionally. Christmas kind of became something I just "got through".

Once I met HOF, I felt like he deserved better. So, I decided to pretend to like Christmas. (He knew I was pretending. I wasn't trying to fool him or anything.) I decided to fake it 'til I make it.

So, I started to really pretend I loved Christmas. We would bake cookies and all that stuff. And you know what? By the second year, I didn't hate it. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it anymore. And by the third year, I kind of liked it. And now, I love it!! I just love Christmas. It is such a magical time of year.

We put up all our Christmas stuff today. (Except for the outside decorations- we will do that after Thanksgiving.) I will start posting pictures of everything after Thanksgiving, as well. We watched Christmas cartoons and made some Christmas cookies, too. It was such fun!!

I think people get caught up in the material parts of Christmas and the stress and forget to focus on the beauty. It is so magical and special. Try to take time to enjoy all the little moments. People can get so rushed and worried and stressed. I try not to worry about getting everything done, but instead focus on enjoying what I am doing. And everything seems to get done in the end.

This made a lot of sense in my head-- I feel as if I'm not saying it right.

I've applied this fake it 'til I make it theory a lot in my life. And-- it works.

4 comments:

Carrie @carrieloves said...

Hi Giants Fan, I am your swap partner for the Christmas Swap on Lissa's blog. I didn't see an email for you, so just email me back when you get a chance and we'll swap addresses and likes and dislikes.

I read your front page of your blog and am loving your posts. Especially the ghost story... I would have been freaked out beyond belief. You are so strong and accepting, I hope i would be as courageous as you if in that situation.

Oh, and congratulations on being pregnant! From what I can tell this will be your 2nd? I have two kids, but they are 12 and 15, not exactly babies anymore, even though I still call them "baby."

xoxo
Carrie

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Christmas too, although I never had to fake it :) I'm glad you found the joy and excitementWe in the day and preparations!

We're having our first and last :) stay at home just the two of us Xmas this year and I'm making the cake, fingers x it goes well!

"J" said...

I so get what you are saying! I don't care much for Christmas for whatever reason I don't know! Christmas never got to me until Dennis and I were married! UGH! All we did was RUN RUN RUN!!! It was lke crazy NUTS! Then when Frank and I were dating it was low key and VERY VERY fun!!! His mom and dad made me see what all I missed!!! It was sooooooo nice!!!! The last few years have been really low key for me! I like it that way!!! Mr. "S" and I just enjoy our time together! We don't rush around any where! The only sad thing is...I haven't put a tree up in 3 years! Wow!!! I'm going to try really hard this year to put a tree up!!! I have a TON of decorations!!!

The holidays just freak me out!!!! I'm hoping I can fake it and make it through!!! I don't know why I get like this???

CPA Mom said...

That's why we are friends!! I fake it until I make it too!! It really works!!!! xoxoxoxo MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!