CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving Meme

J over at Musings from Left Field tagged me for a Thanksgiving meme.

There are only two easy rules:

1. Post these rules when you participate in this meme.
2. Link to the people you tag as well as the person who tagged you.

Let's see, I'm going to tag, SJ and and Hineykapoople.

1. Which do you like better: Hosting Thanksgiving at your home or going elsewhere?
I kind of like hosting, I guess. It just depends. We are hosting this year, but only because HOF's family is splitting up this year. It's kind of sad. No one can seem to get everyone together since Grandma died. So, we offered to host the cousins. It will be pretty small, only about 10- 15 people. We are excited to host, though. We just didn't want to do it if we were going to have 40 or so-- which was about what it was last time we hosted, when Punter was a new baby.

2. Do you buy a fresh or frozen turkey? Organic? Free-range?
I usually buy frozen. I was going to buy a fresh turkey for the Mom's group Thanksgiving I went to the other day, but it was much more expensive.... and well, we all know how cheap I am. So, frozen it was. And it was delicious.

3. Do you make stuffing or dressing? What kind?
We actually like stove-top stuffing! (on sale for $1 this week at Kroger!) But, I'm not in charge of the stuffing this year, so I'm not sure what kind we will be having. All I know is you DO. NOT. cook it inside the turkey!

4. Sweet potato pie or Pumpkin pie?

Pumpkin!!! I like Sweet Potatoes for the souffle and pumpkin for the pie. with whip cream, please!

5. Are leftovers a blessing or a curse?

A blessing for a couple of days and then a curse.

6. What side dishes are a must-have in your family?

It depends who you ask. We have a cousin that must have green bean casserole, but I won't touch the stuff. I have to have sweet potato souffle-- it would not be Thanksgiving without it! HOF's family is getting really good at Thanksgiving.... it was so cute a few years ago, everything was American food but with Asian flair. It is actually a pretty American Thanksgiving now.

7. What do you wish you had that might make Thanksgiving easier?

I can't think of anything. Maybe a clone of myself???

8. If/when you go to someone else’s house for the holiday, do you usually bring a dish? If so, what is it?

For HOF's family, I usually bring the Turkey. This year our cousin in culinary school is cooking the turkey and I am making a ham. If you didn't know, ham is expensive!

9. What do you wish one of your guests would bring to your house?

I'm pretty happy with the way things are.

10. What do you wish one of your guests would NOT bring to your house?

I'm with Marmite and Tea-- I wish one of our cousins would not bring that thing he drags around that pretends to be his girlfriend. (I know that is harsh-- she deserves it!)

11. Do you stick with a particular menu from year to year, or do you mix it up?

I think we usually go with traditional Thanksgiving fare... why mess with a good thing?

12. Is Thanksgiving a religious or secular holiday in your home?

What religion is associated with Thanksgiving? I would say it is secular... I didn't know it was religious? I could give Buddha some turkey for an offering, I guess.....

13. Share one Thanksgiving tradition.

Ummm... eating? Putting up Christmas decorations around that time? I can't think of one die-hard tradition.

14. Share one Thanksgiving memory.

It is sad, but last year we got sick from a teacher that brought her kids to school with croup. The day before Thanksgiving, I was at the doctor and she said we couldn't be around Grandma. She was having surgery for her cancer less than a week later. I had to run out and get a few things to do it at home. It was nice here, but we were so sad not to go. Grandma had her surgery and recovered. And then out of nowhere the cancer came back and she didn't make it. So, we missed the last Thanksgiving with Grandma. I will always be so very sad and brokenhearted about that.

15. Name five things you’re thankful for.

Just five? I am so blessed and fortunate! I would be so hard not to look at every area of my life as a blessing.... but I will choose the predictable!

1. My husband. I don't know what I would do without him. My love for him is ... it's just, I can't explain it. He is the reason I am able to breathe. I love him more than I can even fathom.

2. My Punter. Oh, my! He is just the little light of our lives. He brings us such joy and laughter! He usually won't wear any clothes and now he is refusing to take his winter coat and hat off! The other day after he had left his coat and hat on all day he got hot, so he took his pants off! He was hilarious running abound with winter gear and no pants!

3. My Bench Warmer. Oh, I can't wait to see what we have in store with this one!!!

4. My family. They may be nuts, but I love them!!!!

5. Our home. I grew up really poor and HOF grew up as a refugee with all his family living in one apartment in Syracuse. Neither of us ever thought we would own a 6 bedroom home. We are so blessed and thankful that we are able to live in such a beautiful home.

I wish everyone a happy day before Thanksgiving!!!! Good luck with tomorrow. And our door is open if you want to stop by!!!!!!!



3 comments:

A Spot of T said...

Happy Thanksgiving for tomorrow. Or today. It's still wednesday where I am though. Good meme. I laughed out loud at #10!!

"J" said...

I love it! What a GREAT post!!!! =)

Girlie...I know how much hams cost! Our office bought us the honey glazed hams for Thanksgiving! They were $45 each and that was with a bulk discount! WOW! I can't wait to chomp into this bad boy!!! I think it's soooooooooooo SWEET that our office does that each and every year! They never skip a beat...it's a given!

Don't be sad about grandma! You know she will be there with yall today!!!

I love you and DON'T over do it today!!!! Do you hear me?!?!?! I mean it! I will fly to GA and bust your bootie!!!

I hope yall have a WONDERFUL and YUMMY day!!!!

LOVE YOU!!!
I toooooooooo wish we were together today!!!!!! Heck this whole weekend!!! It's a nice long one!!!!

PS - Can you tell I have the office wireless!!!n YIPPEE!!!! =)

CPA Mom said...

6 bedrooms? I WILL have to stop by for a visit.

I love this meme - and am picturing Punter running around pantless...tehehehehe!